3D Printing in the Automotive Industry
Searching for 3D printing candidates in the automotive industry? Alexander Daniels Global can help. This article will explore how 3D printing is used in this industry and the history of additive manufacturing, while detailing how you can easily recruit for your 3D printing team.
3D printing in the automotive industry
Similar to the aerospace industry, 3D printing revolutionized the automotive industry from the off-set. Primarily, over the last few decades, it was used by car manufacturers to create automotive prototypes, allowing carmakers to check their form and fit. However, initially, these parts were aesthetically pleasing, but they were weak and couldn’t be used for long periods of time.
Additive manufacturing has allowed for development of more robust technologies, meaning production of prototypes can be transformed, but also the technology can be used for end-use parts, too.
How is 3D printing used in automotive?
The game-changer for the industry is being able to use 3D printing for automotive parts, as this is predicted to revolutionize the industry in the future, as it has done already. Applications for 3D printing for the automotive industry include:
- Customized parts – manufacturers can tailor the parts to specific vehicles, making them bespoke and lightweight. This could also be developed for more personal benefits for the driver, for example, seats for racing cars, key fobs or gear sticks.
- Conceptual designs – 3D printed scale models can be used to demonstrate concepts and designs of new vehicles on a complex and intricate level. This helps to diagnose any future design problems as the model is to scale.
- Prototypes and testing – additive manufacturing allows for speedy prototyping, meaning validating a prototype can be quicker and more accurate.
- Spare parts – any part can be replicated and replaced quickly with the assistance of 3D printing, in a variety of materials.
- Tooling – 3D printing can also be used to develop molds and thermoforming tools, as well as contributing to the rapid manufacturing of grips, jigs, and fixtures.
Benefits of Using 3D Printing in the Automotive Industry
- Cost effective – replicating small parts through additive manufacturing would be typically much more cost-effective than having a large stock of parts. Simply a CAD file will be enough, replacing expensive and long lead-time production.
- Customization – for both owners and manufacturers, the limitless options for customization with 3D printing provides opportunities for personalized, bespoke vehicles, parts and spares.
- Short production time – developing 3D printed parts can significantly reduce turnaround times in all stages of manufacturing, as it requires a lower consumption of materials and wastage, which contributes to a shorter production time.
- Innovative and flexible – 3D printing also gives manufacturers the opportunity to try multiple options and iterations during the stages of development. This means they can stay up to date with the industry needs with added flexibility to make changes throughout the process.
Working with 3D printing in the automotive industry
As an organization serving the automotive industry, you might be looking to hire 3D printing specialists to support you with branching out into alternative manufacturing solutions or looking to expand your team to meet high demand from automotive customers. That’s where we can help.
Here at Alexander Daniels Global, we conduct direct sourcing through targeted headhunting to access inactive candidates, alongside our database and extensive network of active candidates. Put simply, your 3D recruitment needs can be seamlessly handled by our expert team – putting the right candidates in front of you when you need them most.
Alternatively, if you are an automotive professional looking to make a move into additive manufacturing, get in touch or browse our career portal to apply for our varied open job vacancies.
For more information about how we can help, contact our team of expert recruiters today. We also have a wealth of HR resources to help you stay on top of hiring trends – download our 2022 Automotive Salary Survey.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!